Monday, September 12, 2011

Welcome to the jungle...

Ok, I am going to preface this post with "It isn't always like this, it really isn't my fault, I do clean it, it is my kid's fault!".  I know this isn't all entirely true.  My sewing/craft area is a disaster.  Not all the time, I do get the chance occasionally to spiffy it all up, organize it into color coordinated bins, cubbies...with fabric folded and neatly placed inside.  This doesn't last very long.   I do most of my sewing when my daughters are awake, and "playing".  My sewing area is tucked away on my second floor landing.  I have good lighting, a beautiful pair of stained glass windows to look at, adequate storage and table space.  Unfortunately it also sits right outside of my girls playroom and I attempt to get my sewing done while they are in there- which more often than not means that the playing spills out to my feet...princess costumes, dress up shoes, and all too often they end up crafting right along side me...oh, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Just don't judge the mess!  I will clean it (eventually)...but first I have this dress to sew and show you! 
I have been collecting vintage children's clothing patterns for a little while now, and have just started sewing with them.  My oldest just started preschool this past week and I was inspired by this Simplicity pattern from 1969.  I love the clean lines, and that it can be made with either short or longs sleeves.  Something about it just seems so modern to me, and I thought it would be great in a summery print, or even corduroy for fall. 



So this is what I've done- rather than try (and fail) at my first attempt at a structured garment (zipper and all!) and ruin my good fabric  I made the dress using a vintage sheet from my collection an I actually love how it turned out!  The sheet pattern is almost right on time with the pattern time period- so cool. 

Now that I have one dress under my belt I am making another one using the same pattern.  This time I am using a cute corduroy print and doing longer sleeves for the upcoming cooler weather.  This is on pause now, while I deal with this first...



 


No comments:

Post a Comment